I posted a sneak peak to the Ciudad de las artes y ciencias (City of arts and science) in this post. I think this was the highlight of the trip to Valencia for me, I was soo fascinated by this amazing architecture! It’s sort of spacey and fairytale’ish and different and outstanding things always fascinate me. This was no exception.
It’s situated a little outside Valencia city centre, and covers a big area with these cool white strange buildings. It was built from 2006 to 2008.
But what is it?
- L’Hemisferic – an Imax cinema, a planetarium and laserium. It’s supposed to resemble a giant eye, some call it “the eye of knowledge”
- El Museu de les Ciencies Principe Felipe, an interactive science museum resembling the skeleton of a whale. Big building of three floors containing “the legacy of science”exhibition of researchers such as Ramon y Cajal, Ochoa and Dausset. “The chromosome forest” showing the sequencing of human DNA, “Marvel Superheroes exhibition”, “The Space Academy”.
- L’Umbracle, a landscape walk with different plants, and palm trees.
- L’Oceanografic, and open-air oceanographic park. Apparently the largest oceanographic aquarium in Europe! And it’s AWESOME! Deserves a post of its own! It's built in the shape of a water lily.
- El Palau de les Arts Reina Sofía, opera house and performing arts centre
- Pont de l'Assut de l'Or, suspension bridge
I'll let the rest of the pictures do the talking from here...
Isn't this very cool? Definitely worth a visit if you go to Valencia!